Interview with Canadian musician, vocalist, producer, and creative director, Terez

Interview with Canadian musician, vocalist, producer, and creative director, Terez

Interview with Canadian musician, vocalist, producer, and creative director, Terez

Today On What On What's Good with Jovin Tardif, I am here with Canadian musician, vocalist, producer, and creative director, Terez. The 24-year-old Calgary-based Pop Artist artist has been featured on television and radio stations throughout the country. Her second EP is coming soon and Ugh Boy/F**k Boy is her first single from the project.  Today in our #cinqque5tion interview, we discuss her new single "Ugh Boy"/F**k Boy", collaborating with Tamara Laurel and Brian McKenna, other songs on the second EP, switching from country to pop music, and much more.

1. How was the recording and writing process for your new single "Ugh Boy"/F**k Boy"?

The writing process was incredibly fun! I wrote this song with two of my long-time collaborators Tamara Laurel and Brian McKenna over Zoom in April 2021, so almost exactly a year before the song came out. Tamara came to the session with the idea “so wtf, boy”, flipping the term f*** boy on its head and giving it a new meaning. I instantly fell in love with the idea and we got to work! Tamara was also the writer on one of my previous singles titled ‘Cake,’ so we snuck in a few references to my previous work like “you can have a piece but not the whole cake,” in addition to some other hidden gems. 

The recording process was intense, to say the least. This was the first track that I fully produced and recorded myself, so it was a crash course in music production and some sound engineering. I recorded a lot of the track in Mexico when I went on a spontaneous 2.5-month trip to focus on music at the start of 2022. I had to create a makeshift studio in one of the closets by putting a duvet over the closet rod and putting pillows in front and behind me to insulate the sound. As you can imagine, standing under a duvet would likely be hot anywhere but it was especially hot in Mexico. So… long story short, it felt like I was recording this song on the surface of the sun. All jokes aside, I absolutely love vocal production and I hope listeners can really hear that in this song. 

2. What was it like collaborating with Tamara Laurel and Brian McKenna?

Tamara and Brian are not only long-time collaborators but two incredible friends. We have worked together on songs that haven’t been released, so it was exciting for all of us to get to show this one to the world. Whenever the three of us are in a session, there are always lots of jokes, deep chats, and some songwriting. I feel so grateful to be able to work with such talented musicians and genuinely amazing humans.

3. What else can we expect on your second EP?

There are going to be some deeper topics like bullying, being a woman in the music industry, childhood, and more. But don’t worry! There will still be some absolute bops and a little something for everyone. You can also expect to hear lots of harmonies and vocal production ear candy, for the sole reason that I can’t contain myself and feel like every song I make needs at least 30 vocal tracks (F*** Boy has 60). 

4. You initially started writing country music for yourself and other artists. Why did you switch to pop music?

Although I love Country music and truly enjoy my time writing it, it’s just not authentic to me as an artist. When you’re a songwriter, it’s kind of fun because you get to almost play a character that aligns with what the artist wants to say. But singing about beer, dirt roads, and small towns is very inauthentic to me and therefore made me feel like I wasn’t fulfilling my creative potential. Switching to pop was a really smooth transition because I didn’t set my sights on any genre specifically, I just allowed myself to freely write music with no genre in mind and I happened to create the sound I have today. It wasn’t as much of an intentional switch, it was more of me finding myself and what I wanted to say with my music.

5. Where can we see you next?

I have some goodies I’m cooking up, but it’s a little too soon to say what just yet. For daily shenanigans, you can find me on my Instagram, TikTok, and Patreon. There’s a lot more music on the way and I would love to have you come along the journey! 

Thank you SO much!

What On What's Good

https://linktr.ee/whatonwhatsgood

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Jennifer Did Rating

Ripley Rating

The Program: Cons, Cults and Kidnapping Rating

Neal Brennan: Crazy Good Rating

Anthracite Rating

The Magic Prank Show with Justin Willman Rating

Files of the Unexplained Rating

The Fall Guy

The Cleaning Lady (2022)

Express Review: Dear Child