Interview with UK-based film director and producer Ginevra Gentili

Interview with UK-based film director and producer Ginevra Gentili

Interview with UK-based film director and producer Ginevra Gentili

Today on What On What's Good with Jovin Tardif, I am here with Ginevra Gentili.  Ginevra is a British-Italian film director.  Her background is in photography and cinematography.  Previous projects include short films Martin (2020), Tell Tale Signs (2016), music videos, and music documentaries (Eivør Talks Tour).  In our #cinqque5tion interview, we discuss her new short film 'Borrowed Time', her independent production company, North Harley Films, and much more.

1. What made you decide to pursue a career in filmmaking?

It took me a while to get there! I think it's because of where I was born. I spent my childhood in the Tuscan countryside, and it wasn't until I moved away from home that I realized pursuing a creative career was a possibility. While and after studying photography, many little things kept happening that were almost signs, I suppose. When I moved to London, I remember a dear friend, who is sadly not with us anymore, telling me, "G, you're not a photographer. You're a director." Gradually, I saw all the puzzle pieces starting to fit, and I had a bit of an epiphany. That's what made me decide. I honestly felt silly for taking so many years to figure it out. 

2. What sort of cameras do you like to use and why?

It depends on the project! My last film, Borrowed Time, was shot on an Alexa Mini; we chose the mini primarily because of the car scenes. In previous films I've made, we used RED. Whereas with the music and brand side of my production company, we work a lot with Blackmagic, of which I'm a big fan. 

3. Which filmmaker influenced you the most and why?

It's hard to pick one. One would be Mike Leigh, definitely. He has such a distinctive way of making films and working with actors. 

4. Can you tell us about your independent production company, North Harley Films. 

North Harley Films is relatively young. I started it in 2019, which wasn't ideal because of the pandemic! My aim for North Harley Films is for it to be a platform for unrecognized voices. We live in a time with such an over-saturation of content, a lot of which isn't original. Yet there is so much hard-working talent with incredible ideas out there, trying to tell their stories. I want my production company to be a platform for that talent.

5. Do you have any tips or advice for new independent filmmakers?

Many new independent filmmakers invest a lot of time and effort in making a film and don't think enough about what happens after that; what they want to say and do with their movie. It's a mistake I also made when I started. Yet it's one of the most crucial aspects.

6. Any fun behind-the-scenes while filming your short film, "Borrowed Time"? 

Two scenes in the film take place at a train station; even if we were lucky to have a decent budget for a short film, there was no way to dedicate enough funds to get our own train carriage. So we had to coordinate and use scheduled trains - we were waiting for a train to come, with a very brief window to film while the train arrived, stayed on the platform, and then left. So we had to work with very little time, at a fast pace, and rely on a bit of luck. We weren't even allowed lights on the platform. Our gaffer managed to sneak one light in; he wrapped it in blackout cloth to hide it, beautifully lighting the scene, if I may say. Overall, that was a fun challenge.

7. What's your favourite drama or true story film and why?

Bennett Miller's Capote is one of my favourites. The main reason would have to be because of Hoffman's performance. His characterization of Capote is just something else. 

8. What can we expect from your debut feature, "Anime Divise"?

Anime Divise is inspired by a true love story, so I will take a little more liberty with the writing than I did with Borrowed Time, which I kept very close to real life. The concept is that of one soul divided into two. Two people, one soul. And how a series of coincidences over time bring them together. It will not only be about love but also mental health struggles. 

Borrowed Time (2022) Official Teaser from North Harley Films on Vimeo.

whatonwhatsgood - jovintardif

linktr.ee/whatonwhatsgood

#whatonwhatsgood Entertainment Updates 🎶📺🎬 Rated 12K+ movie & TV titles

IMDb contributor

300+ #worldwide #cinqque5tion interviews

Google Maps Level 6 Local Guide 2.4 million Photos Views

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trap

Express Review: Dear Child

The Lake Season 2 Rating

Challengers

Shiny Happy People: Duggar Family Secrets Rating

Abigail

Immaculate

Transformers One

Not Another Church Movie

Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes