Interview with Award-Winning Country/Roots Indigenous Artist Nelson Little

Interview with Award-Winning Country/Roots Indigenous Artist Nelson Little

Interview with Award-Winning Country/Roots Indigenous Artist Nelson Little

Today on What On What's Good with Jovin Tardif, I am here with three-time Manitoba Country Music Association award nominee and Aboriginal Peoples Choice Music Award winner Nelson Little.  His latest single is "High Road" which just came out on Friday, May 20, 2022.  In our #cinqque5tion interview, we discuss songwriting tips, opening for The Sheepdogs, Fred Eaglesmith, and Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, his new single "High Road", advice from another musician, and much more.

1. Do you have any songwriting tips?

A good songwriting tip is to have a quiet place to sit and dwell on either the emotions or your creative thoughts. I have 3 kids and literally needed to lock myself in my bedroom to get High Road down on paper. Sometimes lyrics come first. Sometimes the melody comes to mind first. For High Road; both melody and lyrics were generated at the same time. 

2. What was it like to open up for The Sheepdogs, Fred Eaglesmith, and Nitty Gritty Dirt Band?

Fred Eaglesmith was the first big band I’ve opened for. He had a tall brunette female drummer that I was both amazed by and attracted to. That is something we don’t see much of. The 7 piece band toured in an older silver bus and the way they exuded their show was very real and you can just tell that they all knew their parts. Everything was perfect. 

Opening for The Sheepdogs made me realize that perhaps my music was not solely “Country” and the blend of some of my other recorded songs were that of a “Roots/Rock” sound. A few songs I wrote fit really well in The Sheepdogs show. The crowd response was also gratifying knowing that I was more a country kid opening for a rock band. 

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band; now everyone knows “Fishin in The Dark”!? This was a dream come true. Well-dressed gentlemen later in their careers sang perfect harmonies. Opening for these guys I can barely contain my emotions knowing they were in the back possibly listening.  On our farm, we listened to every one of their albums in the trucks, tractors, and when sitting around the fire. 

Watching them sing live and being taken back to my early youth made me want to be part of something as such. 

3. Can you tell us about your new song “High Road”?

“High Road” was written in honour of my son who is 10 and struggled through grade 4 during the pandemic. While writing the song, we quickly realized that the entire country (world) was experiencing the same frustrating changes and challenges as the next person. With these facts at hand, it was easier to finish the song as an advice song. Taking the High Road, putting the fight down, and keeping our heads up….. is pretty much what we all have, and had to do. 

4. What's the best piece of advice another musician ever gave you?

Joey Landreth (The Bros Landreth) sang harmonies on one of my songs. He told me that our vocals are our instruments and like any professional; we have to really look after and protect our voices. Certain foods, certain warm liquids, no whiskeys, smoking, etc…. are just the basics. Vocal Exercises with Tea and Honey on the eve before and day of, are a must! 

5. Describe your favorite musician or band and why?

My favourite musician is Charlie Major. His lyrics and his sound are one of a kind. I’ve never seen so many people sing along to a concert as they did at his. 

What On What's Good 

https://linktr.ee/whatonwhatsgood


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Jennifer Did Rating

Ripley Rating

The Program: Cons, Cults and Kidnapping Rating

Neal Brennan: Crazy Good Rating

Anthracite Rating

The Magic Prank Show with Justin Willman Rating

Files of the Unexplained Rating

The Fall Guy

The Cleaning Lady (2022)

Express Review: Dear Child