Interview with 2022 Adult Contemporary Album of the Year JUNO Nominee and SXSW Award Winner Desirée Dawson

Interview with 2022 Adult Contemporary Album of the Year JUNO Nominee and SXSW Award Winner Desirée Dawson

Today on What On What's Good with Jovin Tardif, I am here with B.C. singer-songwriter Desirée Dawson.  Desirée just recently won the SXSW award for the best music video for "Meet You At The Light".  Her EP, "Meet You At the Light", has also been nominated for the Juno Award for best adult contemporary album.  Desirée will be heading to Toronto to play Juno Fest prior to attending the JUNO Awards on Sunday, May 15th.  The 2022 Juno Awards is hosted by actor Simu Liu. In our #cinqque5tion interview, we discuss her creative process, writing camps with Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, performing at JUNOfest, and much more.

Interview with 2022 Adult Contemporary Album of the Year JUNO Nominee and SXSW Award Winner Desirée Dawson

1. What is your creative process like?

Lately, I don't really plan when I'm going to write or start creating. Throughout each day I usually have some sort of melody or set of lyrics pop into my mind and then I put them into a voice note (my phone is FULL of un-released voice note song ideas) or write it in my journal. Sometimes the ideas live in my phone for a chunk of time before they are ready to grow into a full song. Other times, right away I will flesh out the idea on my living room floor with all my instruments and loop pedal set up around me. I would love to see what it's like to have more of a creative routine and to have more time/energy/space to dedicate to creating, but I'm glad that powerful creative bursts still manage to find me despite having such a full life! I also realize that the fullness of my life is also a big part of my creative drive. I'm inspired by the comings and goings of my internal world and the external around me. I'm inspired by human relationships and studying humans is such an easy thing to do. The moral of the story, there is no clear algorithm to my creative process, and I'm learning to stay open to its call.

2. Can you tell us about writing camps with Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds?

That writing camp was so amazing. I was one of the only artists who was not from Ontario.  It pushed me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to connect with some amazing Toronto-based producers and artists who I still have connections with today!  It was an experience that I will always cherish in my career.  

3. Who would you most like to collaborate with and why? 

I would love to collaborate with Mustafa. I find his music so deeply moving.  His poetry and the power of his voice enters directly into my heart in a way that I'm always moved to tears. His vulnerability and honesty woven into the most beautiful melodic lines humble and inspire me. I'm incredibly grateful for his existence and the pieces of his heart he has shared with us listeners. I would be so honoured to create with him some day!

4. How did it feel to take home the SXSW award for "Best Music Video" for "Meet You At The Light"?

It felt absolutely amazing and shocking to take home that award. We were up against some really incredible pieces of art. Although there was and still is a bit of disbelief, this has all been so affirming because the Meet You At The Light video was such a labor of love that turned out incredibly powerful and beautiful. I was surprised but also it made sense to me! We found out we won the SXSW Juried award first and then a few days later I heard that we won the Audience choice award too! My team and I put a lot into this song and the video!  I'm grateful to everyone who was a part of its creation and I'm grateful to the SXSW Jury and the audience for the two awards!

5. What was the crowd like at Music at CF? (CF Fairview Mall and CF Eaton Centre)

I started my music career by busking, so this mall show kind of gave me similar energy to that. It reminded me of how beautiful it is to sing for people who are not fully expecting it, just going about their day.  People were so grateful for the surprise and I made some lasting connections and fans. The crowd was lovely! 

6. Where can we see you next?

In Toronto, I'll be performing at a JUNOfest showcase on Friday, May 13th curated by Bluecrane at Arthaus! It's going to be amazing. I have a bunch more show announcements between Vancouver and Toronto that I'll be announcing next week, so make sure to check out my Instagram and website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neal Brennan: Crazy Good Rating

The Magic Prank Show with Justin Willman Rating

What Jennifer Did Rating

Ripley Rating

Files of the Unexplained Rating

The Fall Guy

The Program: Cons, Cults and Kidnapping Rating

Anthracite Rating

TV Series Review: The Tourist (2022)

Law & Order Interviews before Season 21