Ms. Marvel (2022)

Ms. Marvel

Marvel Studios/Disney Plus

Release date

Original Series Launches Exclusively on Disney+ June 8 

Adil El Arbi & Bilall Fallah - Series Directors Episodes 101 & 106 / Executive Producers discuss Ms. Marvel

"After Bad Boys for Life,  we wanted to do something even bigger. We were asking ourselves what is the next step?  The next step was obviously Marvel because that's the biggest in the biz. We had to be part of that.  

We were kind of saying if we're gonna do something it's gonna have to be a Muslim character.  It was Ms. Marvel. We discovered the comics and fell in love with the character. We need to capture this vibrancy, this colorfulness, this world on the big screen. We injected some animation into it. We wanted to put it in because it portrays us.  It portrays her.  We have a personal connection with the character being a Muslim Pakistani girl, a teenager searching for herself.

I hope that people will love Kamala Khan and her family because the real superpowers are family and friends. I hope that the audience will grow with her." 

Bisha K. Ali – Head Writer / Executive Producer discusses Ms. Marvel

Ms. Marvel is built out over 6 episodes. It meant that we had loads of time for her to go on this journey into figuring out who she is. 

I'm excited to show everybody the 6 episodes and the journey she goes through.  I wish I could tell you all the juicy things we have in store for you.

When we set out to develop this show for the screen, there are a couple of changes that we made from the comic books.  We are really about making it appropriate for live-action, and also bringing it into a modern current day.  A lot of what I wanted to spend time on in this show was with her family and with her friends. I'd like to think that we stay true to the heart of those comic books. Every single creative involved in this television show, including myself, every writer, and people on the crew, we just love those comics.  Our biggest goal was to honor the comic book. 

It's so important to have a young female Pakistani superhero from the background that she's from because it's important that everyone gets to have their story on the big scale. 

Iman Vellani - "Kamala Khan / Ms. Marvel" discuss Ms. Marvel

"I think our show has a very universal charm in the way it balances fan culture and religion, and coming of age and action.  I really do think that we have a very wide audience, and ultimately the show is a love letter to the Marvel fan.  

I'm excited about the fan reaction and I think young people are definitely going to be able to relate to the coming of age undertone of it all. 

At 16, you shouldn't have everything figured out. You should live your life, find passion, explore it, and hang out with friends.

I'm just coming to work, and being myself and playing around.  It's the greatest job ever.  I fell in love with comic books, and I fell in love with Kamala. The fact that she's not my little secret anymore is amazing.  I can finally talk about the show.  I'm so excited for the world to finally see the reason I fell in love with those comics and the character. 

I think it's just wonderful that a company is as big and as successful as Marvel is creating space for a character like Kamala to kind of thrive and exist.  I'm excited to see what kind of projects this show inspires.

Ms. Marvel cannot represent all 2 billion Muslims in South Asians in the world.  But it's a start. I'm excited that we can get the ball rolling.

They used so much of me to create Kamala. They really wanted me to be a collaborator on this.  They never made me feel like I was inferior, and they just made me feel equal.  I was really a part of this entire project, and the fact that they really respected my opinion and my voice just meant the world."

Directed by 

Adil El Arbi & Bilall Fallah, Meera Menon and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy

Executive producers

Kevin Feige, Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso and Bisha K. Ali 

Co-executive producers

Sana Amanat and Trevor Waterson

Head writer

Bisha K. Ali

Starring

Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan / Ms. Marvel

Matt Lintz as Bruno Carrelli

Yasmeen Fletcher as Nakia Bahadir

Zenobia Shroff as Muneeba Khan

Mohan Kapur as Yusuf Khan

Saagar Shaikh as Aamir Khan

Laurel Marsden as Zoe Zimmer

Azhar Usman as Najaf

Cinematography

Robrecht Heyvaert, Carmen Cabana, Jules O'Loughlin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022)

TV Series Review: How I Met Your Father

TV Series Review: WeCrashed (2022)

TV Series: Deadloch

Film Review: Ted K (2022)

TV Series Review: Blockbuster

TV Review: 9-1-1: Lone Star

TV Series Review: Paper Girls

Express Review: Dear Child

Film Review: Studio 666 (2022)