Film Review: Scream (2022)

Scream (2022)

Paramount Pictures
Release date: 01/14/2022


#whatonwhatsgood Express Review (by: Jovin Tardif)
This is the fifth installment in the Scream franchise. It is co-directed by Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett. Overall, I thought they did a pretty good job of creating a new slasher film.  I thought it was a nice tribute to one of the greatest horror directors ever. (Wes Craven)

Ghostface (a new copycat) is in Woodsboro and he or she is targeting youngsters.
When the teenagers ask for help, can Deputy Sheriff, Dewey Riley (David Arquette), Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell), and news reporter, Gale Weathers (Courteney Cox) help them figure things out before it is too late? 

Will you...the viewer...be able to figure out who Ghostface is before the end of the movie?

Enjoy!

The original murders happened 25 years earlier. (Scream 1996)  

Jasmin Savoy Brown discusses playing "Mindy Meeks-Martin" and the "Scream" movie

"I liked that my character is really funny and intelligent." 

"I had a meeting with the directors and I just fell in love with them.  I already heard how lovely they were and I was like I have to work with these guys. They made it clear that they love to include their actors in the process of creating these characters. Matt, Tyler, and Chad from day one made a point of saying we really want you to be a part of this...come to us with any thoughts, concerns, or questions...Any way we can make your character more like you. I did that.  I had specific pieces of wardrobe that are really important to me...specific things in the script that I wanted to tweak a little bit to reflect what I'm bringing to Mindy" 

"I'm really excited for all of the callbacks and all of the nods to the original film. They're all over the movie.  I think all of those little Easter egg moments are gonna be so fun for the Die Hard fans."

"I think people are gonna like it.  The whole thing is just gonna be really fun."

Kyle Gallner who plays "Vince Schneider" discusses The Scream Franchise

"I think Scream last as long as it has because I think the films are unique I also think it kind of breathes fresh life into the slasher genre. Ghostface definitely solidified himself up there amongst you know the ranks of the big bad guys." 

"I think it's going to bring Scream to a whole new generation which is cool. I think people will see this and then probably seek out the original movies."

"I'm excited for a whole new audience to kind of be brought into this universe. It's gonna be so fun for the people who are fans of the franchise and people are new fans of the franchise."

Mikey Madison who plays "Amber Freeman" discusses being a fan of the original Scream movie

"I love horror films. It's one of my favorite genres. I was a really big fan of the original Scream. 

"One of the notes that the directors talk to me about is that they were really trying to make it feel more like the original.  They just seemed so passionate about the original movies and really tried to articulate to me that they wanted to preserve the legacy that Wes created."

"It was so exciting that all the original legacy members were coming back." 

"I'm such a big fan of Neve." 

"I'm excited for audiences to see Matt and Tyler's vision."

Jenna Ortega who plays "Tara Carpenter" discusses "Scream" 

"I used to be a big scaredy-cat when I was younger. I wasn't really into horror but Scream was one of the first movies I watch to kind of break that mold. To kind of get me out of that phase in my life." 

"Wes Craven and the original cast really did such a phenomenal job at making things intimidating but also funny at the same time." 

"I'm excited for them to see the new cast. I really think that they are such great characters.  They are so well written and so lovable and I really do think that they fit right in with the community and I don't really think people will be disappointed by them."

"If you appreciate a good slasher film. You're really gonna like this one."

Courteney Cox discusses Scream movie and her character Gale Weathers

"It was great to come back. I love playing Gail. I was really emotional because it's something that means a lot to us. We've been a part of it for so long and it was sad without Wes but these two new directors are incredible. He'd be proud." 

"My character has changed. She's kind of more sophisticated. She lives in New York.  She's the anchor on a morning news program.  Her personal life isn't so great but her professional life is exactly what she wants."

Neve Campbell discusses Scream movie and her character Sidney Prescott

"I love making these movies. They're a blast. They're funny. They're scary. They're challenging. The writing is always great. Always fun to play in this genre." 

"Sydney over the years you know she went from obviously really struggling when she was young and having a lot of hits and overcoming those and becoming stronger. She goes through stages of moving into isolation and then coming out of isolation and now we find her in a place where she's content in her life."

David Arquette discusses Scream movie and his character Dewey Riley

"Having the opportunity to play a character for 25 years it's been just so great. It was hard coming to the set without Wes. A lot of the same crew had done the other films so that was difficult as well but it was great.  These new young actors reminded me a lot of us when we were younger." 

Directed by

Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Tyler Gillett

Written by

James Vanderbilt, Guy Busick

Based on

Characters by Kevin Williamson

Produced by

William Sherak, James Vanderbilt, Paul Neinstein

Starring

Neve Campbell as Sidney Prescott

David Arquette as Dewey Riley

Courteney Cox as Gale Weathers

Marley Shelton as Judy Hicks

Melissa Barrera as Sam Carpenter

Jenna Ortega as Tara

Dylan Minnette as Wes Hicks

Jack Quaid as Richie Kirsch

Mason Gooding as Chad

Jasmin Savoy Brown as Mindy Meeks-Martin

Kyle Gallner as Vince

Sonia Ben Ammar as Liv

Mikey Madison as Amber

Roger L. Jackson as the voice of Ghostface

Cinematography

Brett Jutkiewicz

Edited by

Michel Aller

Music by

Brian Tyler

What On What's Good

linktr.ee/whatonwhatsgood

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV Series Review: FUBAR

TV Series Review: Deadloch

I Like Movies

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom Rating

TV Series Review: Burning Body

Lupin Part 3 Rating

Film Review: Category: Woman (2022)

Interview with Matt U Johnson

Sidney

Killers of the Flower Moon Rating