Interview with Canadian Indie-Pop/Rock artist Bex

#cinqque5tion interview with Canadian Indie-Pop/Rock artist Bex with Host Jovin Tardif from #whatonwhatsgood

Canadian Indie-Pop/Rock artist Bex


Today on #whatonwhatsgood with Jovin Tardif, I am here with Canadian Indie-Pop/Rock artist Bex. In our interview we discuss musical influences, new single Feelings from full-length album, "Startrails", the recording process, songwriting tips and much more.

1. Some of your influences include Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne, and Lights.  Can you tell us a favourite song from each artist and why?

For Michelle Branch, pretty much anything off of the “Spirit Room” album for nostalgic reasons!  I’ve also always loved “Find your Way Back” from her album “Hotel Paper,” from 2003. The feel good song reflects a lot of the raw vulnerability that I love in all her music. 

For Avril Lavigne, I’m mostly speaking to her music in the early 2000s. I was obsessed with her debut “Let Go” album from 2001, and must have heard the entire album 1000 times. The song “I’m With You” stands out the most, just because I’m a sucker for sad songs, and this one used to rip out my heart. 

Lights is a tricky one to choose a favourite because her music has grown with me since “The Listening” album in 2009, and I feel like every song Lights touches is stunning. Similar to Michelle and Avril, I’m drawn to the vulnerability in her voice - there’s a magic to their delivery, like they're sharing a piece of their souls. Her song “Face Up” holds a special place in my heart when it carried me through a rough time where I didn’t want to leave my bed. This song soothed and carried me through that moment, and even got me back into songwriting to deal with the emotions I was feeling.

2. What can you tell us about the new single "Feelings"?

“Feelings” was written during a self-given songwriting challenge during April of 2020, where I would write a new song everyday for the entire month. The day I wrote “Feelings” my horoscope read “Bex - feelings aren’t facts,” and I absolutely loved that sentiment. The song is about becoming more self aware, and pausing before you let your emotions drive your next action.

3. Should we expect a music video?

As far as a music video goes, I have ideas for this one! I won’t give away too much in case my ideas change in the meantime, but I basically want the video to be funny and lighthearted to juxtapose the serious and moody lyrics. As a self funded indie artist, it’s going to take some thrifty crafting but I love the challenge of that. My goal is to have the video out by the new year.

4. What was the recording process like?

The recording process took place in Toronto almost a year after it was written, and was produced by my friend James McLeod. Originally my plan was going to be a 6 song EP, but I threw in 4 more tracks near the end of the recording process, just because it all tied together so nicely. I took a rough demo into the studio just to test “Feelings” out, and the recording process felt effortless with this one, using the original structure and melody. James played around with some early 2000s pop punk progression on guitar, and we found the direction and vibe of the song immediately. The electronic elements  give the track a unique flavour that ties in with the rest of the album, with the goal of still being able to translate the performance with a live band, which I can absolutely picture with “Feelings”. I spent one more day at the studio to clean up my vocals and work on some harmonies and then James took it from there to complete the mix before we sent it off to Shaan Thiara from Ennea Records for Mastering.  

5. Do you have any songwriting tips?

My tools for songwriting: 1. My little martin guitar, 2. Phone for voice notes, 3. Notebook. From there I just need to find an inspiring place ideally without distractions. I've written a lot at home (I usually need the area to be clean, and set the space with incense or candles), in parks, by the water, and surprisingly even on the subway. My biggest piece of advice is to just push through the initial stage of songwriters' block or lack of inspiration and stick with the process for at least 10-20 minutes to help get your head in the creative space. For me, songwriting is a bit like meditation, and you know you're in the zone when words and melody start flowing.

6. What else can we expect from your new full-length album, "Startrails"?

I’m hoping people will listen to Startrails like a traditional album from start to finish, to experience the ride of emotions and different styles of each song. You can expect a limited amount of vinyl copies to be available within a few months or so of release, which I’m really excited about! Each song was originally created without the constriction of having to fit any sort of specific music genre (with the exception of gravitating towards a more pop format) and developed from there, so you’ll get to experience a bit of variety (pop punk to even electronic dance vibes), while ultimately still tying together cohesively as an album. Since writing has always been a bit of a therapy for me, it feels like every song on this album carries a little piece of me, and I’m hoping people will find the messages relatable and the music really soothing to listen to. 

Interview is also available at instagram.com/cinqque5tion

Part 1 - https://www.instagram.com/p/CVgSR5APDTD/

Part 2 - https://www.instagram.com/p/CVgSxbxvBG2/

Part 3 - https://www.instagram.com/p/CVgThRkv5ZV/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV Series Review: FUBAR

TV Series Review: Deadloch

Express Review: Dear Child

I Like Movies

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom Rating

TV Series Review: Burning Body

TV Series Review: WeCrashed (2022)

Lupin Part 3 Rating

Film Review: Category: Woman (2022)

Interview with Matt U Johnson