Interview with Award-Winning Writer, Director, Producer, Editor, Photographer & Comedian Gary Robinson

Interview with Comedian Gary Robinson

Today on What On What's Good with Jovin Tardif, I am here with Award-Winning Writer, Director, Producer, Editor, Photographer & Comedian Gary Robinson.  In our interview, we discuss what inspired him to get into the entertainment industry, interning at The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, his video production company, being a stand-up comedian and much more.



1. What first inspired you to be in the entertainment industry?

Like many people my age, I was really inspired by the first Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies.  Star Wars showed how you could create a realistic and exciting story that takes place anywhere and at any time.  Finally, it felt like “realistic” creative storytelling was really only limited by our imagination.  And for a young boy, Raiders of the Lost Ark really took you on an adventure, far beyond the realities of daily life.  Those movies made me realize I wanted to tell stories, and inspire people, in whatever forms I could utilize.

2. Do you have any fun behind-the-scenes stories interning at The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air?


When I interned for Quincy Jones Entertainment, the company was just being launched, and we were preparing a blastoff party at The Roxbury on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood. Related to those movies that inspired me, I answered the phone and Harrison Ford called to RSVP to the party.  That was an out-of-body experience for me.  It was so amazing that an actor, who I had watched onscreen literally hundreds of times in my favorite movies as a kid, was on the phone with me, with his very distinctive voice.  A few weeks later, I was at a party with him and #StevenSpielberg  I was too shy to go up to them, but I did say hi to Quincy.  #QuincyJones Entertainment was just starting to film The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and I went to a taping or two.  It was exciting to see how an idea was brought to life.  And, it demonstrated how persistence and talent could make projects a reality.

Gary Robinson
Gary Robinson

3. Can you tell us about your video production company?  What are some of the trailers/promos you have created in the past?  Can you tell us your process of creating tv/movie trailers/promos?  What sort of programs do you use?


I formed Sharpcut Productions as a way of taking on a variety of projects outside of the projects I wrote, produced, and edited as a freelancer.  I worked for other production companies and networks, producing thousands of promos for tv shows such as Married With Children, Ripley’s Believe it or Not, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Blind Date and America’s Funniest Home Videos.  Promos are essentially, 30 second or less, trailers for an upcoming episode of a tv show.  So, I would try to entice the viewer to tune in with interesting or exciting lines from the show, or stories, teased in an entertaining or amusing way.  The style of trailers has evolved over time from announcer-based storytelling to teasing the films exclusively with clips from the films.  The work I’ve produced with my own company has included commercials, trailers, music videos, and sizzle reels. My worlds of video production and comedy intersected when I produced and edited two comedy specials currently available on Amazon Prime, “Jimmy Shin’s Wok of Shame” and “Sarah Halstead’s RVs and Cats.”  I also produced the 4k animated logo for Martin Scorsese’s World Cinema Project, which preserves and restores neglected films from around the world.  It was exciting to do some projects for one of my film director idols and for a great cause.  I primarily edit on Avid Media Composer and Vegas Pro. I have my own Arri BL2 and BL4 35mm motion picture cameras, and a variety of 4k resolution cameras for shooting.

4. You are also a stand-up comedian.  What was it like for the first time being in front of an audience performing stand-up comedy?


I had really never done any public speaking before that, so I was sick to my stomach for a day or two before my first show which took place at The Comedy Store in Hollywood several years ago.  I always liked being “behind the camera” and never thought I would be performing in front of others like that.  I was never a great speaker, but always a pretty good writer.  For me, the excitement is writing a new bit, and seeing it make people laugh.  It feels great to make people happy at least for a little while.  It’s something I continue to work hard at, because in the past several months, I’ve shared the stage with incredible comedians like Bill Burr Iliza Shlesinger, Jamie Kennedy and Darrell Hammond  I want to be able to hold my own.

Gary Robinson
Gary Robinson


5. Can you describe your comedy style?  How do you come up with your material?


My comedy style has evolved pretty much every year.  For a while, I was trying to be as shocking as possible and performing a psychological attack on the audience.  Then, I focused on crowd work with some political humor.  Now, it’s kind of a mix of what’s going on in my life, with some interactivity with the crowd, and storytelling.  I have some repeat audience members, so I try to improvise some of my acts.  I figure that if I don’t plan what I’m doing on the show, they won’t be able to predict me either.  I come up with my material from either crazy things that happen in my own life, and interesting things in the news.  There’s no lack of material in this world.

6. Where can we see you next?


I’m performing all of the time around Los Angeles, but I’m coming to the La Jolla Comedy Store and San Jose Improv very soon as well.  You can see where I’ll be performing next by going to sharpcutcomedy.com, following my Instagram at sharpcutproductions or checking on me at linktree.com/sharpcut   
Lots of my video production work can be seen at sharpcut.com   

Thanks for interviewing me!

Interview is also available at instagram.com/cinqque5tion

Interview with Writer, Director, Producer, Editor, Photographer, Comedian Gary Robinson 
Interview with Writer, Director, Producer, Editor, Photographer, Comedian Gary Robinson 
Interview with Writer, Director, Producer, Editor, Photographer, Comedian Gary Robinson 
Interview with Writer, Director, Producer, Editor, Photographer, Comedian Gary Robinson 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neal Brennan: Crazy Good Rating

The Magic Prank Show with Justin Willman Rating

What Jennifer Did Rating

Ripley Rating

Files of the Unexplained Rating

The Fall Guy

The Program: Cons, Cults and Kidnapping Rating

Anthracite Rating

TV Series Review: The Tourist (2022)

TV Series Review: Deadloch