The Son

The Son

STXfilms, Film4, Ingenious Media, Cross City Films, Embankment Films, See-Saw Films, Inthevoid Production

Sony Pictures Classics

Release dates

7 September 2022 (Venice)

20 January 2023 (United States)

17 February 2023 (United Kingdom)

8 March 2023 (France)

Description

A drama that follows a family as it struggles to reunite after falling apart. THE SON centers on Peter (Jackman), whose hectic life with his infant and new partner Beth (Kirby) is upended when his ex-wife Kate (Dern) appears with their son Nicholas (McGrath), who is now a teenager. The young man has been missing from school for months and is troubled, distant, and angry. Peter strives to take care of Nicholas as he would have liked his own father to have taken care of him while juggling work, his and Beth's new son, and the offer of his dream position in Washington. However, by reaching for the past to correct its mistakes, he loses sight of how to hold onto the Nicholas in the present.

Directed by

Florian Zeller

The Son starring Hugh Jackman, Laura Dern, Vanessa Kirby, Zen McGrath, Hugh Quarshie, and Anthony Hopkins.

Screenplay by

Florian Zeller and Christopher Hampton

Based on

Le Fils by Florian Zeller

Produced by

Joanna Laurie, Iain Canning, Emile Sherman, Florian Zeller and Christophe Spadone

Starring

Hugh Jackman as Peter Miller

Laura Dern as Kate Miller

Vanessa Kirby as Beth

Zen McGrath as Nicholas Miller

George Cobell as young Nicholas Miller

Hugh Quarshie

Anthony Hopkins as Anthony Miller

Cinematography

Ben Smithard

Edited by

Yorgos Lamprinos

Music by

Hans Zimmer

The Son starring Hugh Jackman, Laura Dern, Vanessa Kirby, Zen McGrath, Hugh Quarshie, and Anthony Hopkins.

Florian Zeller discusses The Son

THE SON is a film I have wanted to direct for years. When telling stories about families, there is no denying the intergenerational dynamics and patterns that exist and are passed down from one generation to the next. This is something that I find fascinating and also essential to examine as we try to understand what drives people in every family—no matter where they are from—to behave the way we do as well as how we interact with our parents and children. Although I set out to tell a story about one son, it dawned on me in the making of THE SON that this is a story about two sons, Nicholas, a struggling teenager, and Peter, a father grappling with his own issues as a son.

I was so determined to tell this story that I couldn’t have made any other film at this time. THE SON is a film about guilt, family ties and ultimately, love. It is inspired by emotions I myself am no stranger to.

I wanted to share the lives of these particular characters because many people deal with similar mental health issues, and I feel that a lot of shame, guilt and ignorance is still attached to these struggles. And of course, such feelings and stigma hinder vital conversations. I hope this film will, in some way, add a compassionate voice to the discourse around mental illness.

“I come from theatre so I'm very familiar with the process of rehearsing, and I like it very much. But I had this intuition with this film that it would be more impactful and efficient not to rehearse too much - mainly because it's about a man losing control of the situation. I didn't want you to be too aware of what was going on, in a way.” 

“I felt that all the people involved in the film were connected, not only with the story we were trying to tell, but also with the emotions, for personal reasons. I found that it was more interesting to discover things on set, together, without being over-prepared - to allow the cast to be surprised and overwhelmed by the emotions. I wanted the actors to be as truthful as possible, almost to be themselves, in order to reach something unique and powerful. Of course, we had discussions about the backstories. But I asked them to forget everything as soon as we started - to have no protection; to use their own feelings, their own fears, to develop the story.” 

“From the very beginning, I got what I needed. The idea that something happens and in the second it takes for you to be aware of it happening, it’s already too late… this is something I saw in their faces and in their eyes. It was great to have that moment of truth - even though it was like a tragic truth.”

Hugh Jackman discusses The Son

“So much of THE SON is about how damage from our own childhoods ends up playing out again over and over. Trauma is like a wildfire that goes through generations and generations, unless you have the courage to really stop and really understand what’s happened.” 

“Florian is really brilliant at making you see how difficult these decisions are.  How do you balance work and home life? Everyone is trying their hardest. Sometimes they’re dealing with the way they were brought up; sometimes they’re dealing with the society they live in; sometimes they’re dealing with a situation they’ve never faced before, and feeling like they’re on their own… What I hope and want audiences to get from this is: we’re all in the same boat.”

“Suicide, depression, anxiety - all of these things are affecting so many people.  It’s a whole conversation in itself as to why. But we need to talk about this; we need to bring this up. As an Australian man I can tell you, we’ve traditionally found it difficult to talk with our mates about stuff, so a lot of people suffer in silence. A movie like THE SON is vital to begin conversations. When we get our job right in storytelling, in moviemaking, in the theatre, we open people's hearts, and allow them to feel things and understand things - not just intellectually, but with every part of them. It might make you go home and have a different conversation with your kid, with your spouse, with your parents, with your friends, with a stranger in the street. Might make you look at the homeless person in the street a different way. I think we need that so desperately in our society. We need that type of attention and care given to this topic. I’m proud to be a part of a film that’s so intelligent and beautifully and empathetically facing that topic.”

“I had seen THE FATHER and absolutely loved it, every bit of it. I thought it was an extraordinary piece of work. I was absolutely gobsmacked that it was Florian’s first movie as a director. I thought he had incredible confidence and vision and assuredness; and he’s obviously a beautiful writer. When I first heard about the movie version of THE SON - I have to say, I chased it down.” 

“I know manners, and a little part of me was like - if a director is out to other actors, you should just wait. But I just felt this urge. I wrote an email to Florian. I said: I hear you are looking at other actors, and I’m not one to cut in on a dance, but if by any chance it’s not true… I think I actually wrote, ‘not only am I interested, but I’m in. I want to play this part.’” 

“From the first phone call with Florian, I knew that this would be a collaboration I would never forget. He has this ability to allow you to feel free within the character, but there is such a strength of vision of what is needed from every single scene. Not only working with Florian, but this incredible crew, and incredible cast - it’s been very challenging and rewarding, and one of the best experiences I’ve ever had.”

“Obviously, the mental health issues that Nicholas is going through. I also looked at real life stories of second marriages - what it’s like for kids from the first marriage to integrate with a new marriage. I spent time in a lawyer’s office in New York - that was really, really helpful for me. I wanted to know what the reality would be if you were joining a primary team running for President… I did a lot of research! I find it one of the greatest parts of my job. Every time I play a new character, I step into a different reality.”

“I’m working with my heroes and an extraordinary young man who is just beginning his career. So it has been a joy across the board. Sir Anthony Hopkins, Laura Dern, Vanessa Kirby - if you get to be in a film with them, and have really amazing scenes with them, you know that this is one for the highlight reel. Every single day has been astonishing for me. They’re some of the best actors alive.”

Producer Joanna Laurie discusses The Son


“We and Florian were very aware that we had a serious responsibility to tell this story from an informed position without putting any judgment on children and their families.” 

“Hugh is the most phenomenal actor, But more than that, he is a phenomenal presence - someone who's incredibly generous. He has a unique ability to make everyone around him feel seen and heard and valuable!” says Laurie. “He just gave them the confidence and the pride to invest in this film in the way that he had.”

“Laura has such amazing instincts. And of course, she has the muscle memory of working with the world’s most incredible directors. She brings this iconic energy, and really tapped into the character’s emotions.

She’s phenomenal and a joy to work with.

Producer Iain Canning discusses The Son

“People's concerns around their mental health are hugely important and it’s often a subject that is shied away from. This film demands that that subject be discussed more openly. I think that can only help get rid of whatever barrier there might be for people to just be open and honest about how they're feeling. The dynamics of trauma within families is not a new idea; but I think what is changing is how we talk about mental health and looking after each other. It is absolutely one of the most important conversations to be had - and I hope this film sets up a platform for people to have those conversations.”

“It was a very special thing to have Hugh Jackman come on board.  To have him be so passionate, so caring about the subject matter from so early on in the process was hugely important. He acted as a beacon for the way we were going to go about the work.”

“His performance as Peter was so nuanced and so layered - I can't think of anyone else in that role. It's just such a wonderful thing that he felt brave enough really to take on this subject.”

“Kate is a complex role. She wants the best for her son, and for her son to be well, but she’s also dealing with her own insecurities and vulnerabilities. It needed someone with real skill - and thankfully, Laura has that abundance.”
Laura Dern discusses her character Kate in The Son
“She breaks my heart. She is so vulnerable; and angry, rightfully. Having tried everything, she feels she’s run out of answers, and that’s where she begins this story. I think she feels she has predominantly single- parented, and now they are in crisis, after this difficult divorce. Peter has moved on and met someone, got married and has a new son… there’s so much heartbreak in it, and guilt, and confusion, and resentment. In a way, Peter gets pulled in to start parenting on a deeper level than he’s been involved in since the divorce.”

“The story is heart-breaking so we all carry heavy hearts together each day; and Florian is so loving with that.” 

“an amazing process. It's been such a close experience with Hugh and with Zen, and they are both the kindest people you will ever meet, as is our director; I feel very blessed.”

“I think the general public isn’t trained to see depression. Hopefully, this continues a conversation around it, particularly in parenting - not just parenting our own children, but parenting ourselves, and taking care of each other as a community. It doesn’t have answers, but it begins to crack open a conversation, with empathy, and in a beautiful way.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neal Brennan: Crazy Good Rating

The Magic Prank Show with Justin Willman Rating

What Jennifer Did Rating

Ripley Rating

Express Review: Dear Child

Files of the Unexplained Rating

The Fall Guy

The Program: Cons, Cults and Kidnapping Rating

The Cleaning Lady (2022)

Anthracite Rating