Jungle Cruise (2021)

Jungle Cruise

Walt Disney Pictures

Release date: 07/30/2021

Jungle Cruise on Digital August 31 and 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD November 16

My IMDb Rating: 7/10

#whatonwhatsgood Fan Club Rating: 66%

Directed by

Jaume Collet-Serra

Screenplay by

Michael Green, Glenn Ficarra, John Requa

Story by

John Norville, Josh Goldstein, Glenn Ficarra, John Requa

Based on

Walt Disney's Jungle Cruise

Produced by

John Davis, John Fox, Beau Flynn, Dwayne Johnson, Dany Garcia, Hiram Garcia

Co-Producer

Petra Holtorf

Executive Producers

Douglas C. Merrifield, Scott Sheldon

Associate Producers

Lacey Darlene Paulson, David H. Venghaus Jr.

Starring

Dwayne Johnson as Frank Wolff

Emily Blunt as Lily Houghton

Edgar Ramírez as Aguirre

Jack Whitehall as MacGregor Houghton

Jesse Plemons as Prince Joachim

Paul Giamatti as Nilo

Veronica Falcón as Trader Sam

Cinematography

Flavio Labiano

Edited by

Joel Negron

Music by

James Newton Howard

Dwayne Johnson who plays Frank Wolff / Francisco Lopez de Heredia discusses Jungle Cruise and his character

“‘Jungle Cruise’ is about adventure and about life, and living a full life.  And being aware of that and breaking through barriers by doing things beyond what people think are your limits. ‘Jungle Cruise’ is an adventure: it’s fun, it’s magical, it’s mystical, it’s dangerous, it’s exciting.”

“From the beginning we wanted to ensure that every element of the Jungle Cruise attraction on—the spirit and great reverence that we have for it and Walt—are in the movie,” remarks Johnson. “We’ve worked closely with the tremendously talented team of Disney Imagineers to make sure that we are servicing all these memorable moments and integrating them into this epic adventure. This is what makes this project so very special. It’s been years in the making to pay homage to this wonderful piece of Disneyland history and we’re very, very excited about making a great movie that honors and respects the Jungle Cruise ride.”

“Frank is a skipper on the Amazon, and he takes a lot of pride in what he does. There are elements in the movie as the movie progresses where you start to realize things about Frank that one would never have guessed. The man is an old soul who has a very unique perspective on life itself. Frank meets Lily, who is ambitious and brave and funny and charming and beautiful, and all these things eventually remind him how great life can be.”

Emily Blunt who plays Dr. Lily Houghton discusses Jungle Cruise and her character

"It was that idea of throwback action-adventure and contentious relationships that helped draw Emily Blunt to the project. “I was so taken with the script because I grew up watching ‘Romancing the Stone’ and ‘Indiana Jones’.  Those were the films that I watched on a loop when I was a kid. I loved them and was transported by them, and I wanted to be in them. When I read this script, it just pierced my heart directly because it was so nostalgic and felt like a real event. I was so taken by the spirit of the whole thing.”

“I was just so struck by Lily’s determination and tenacity, and the fact that she was so ahead of her time, considering that the film is set in 1917. There was so much inequality between men and women and what was expected of her at the time.  But she doesn’t subscribe to what was appropriate for her sex. And I found her really funny. She’s very reckless and heedless and adventurous. I admired her spirit.”

Edgar Ramírez who plays Captain Aguirre discusses Jungle Cruise and his character

“I loved it. It is exciting. It keeps you guessing. I always relate the film to some sort of board game, where you go forward and then you go back, and then there are setbacks and then you overcome them, and then you have to start all over again. When you’re about to reach the goal, you’re set back a few squares. All the players are trying to get the same thing, but they all get in each other’s way. That’s what the film is like, and I love that dynamic.”

“Being invited to a fun, great party. This movie has so much color and different textures and different characters, and it is very classic in many ways. If you add the tone of the movie, the adventure and the mystery and the humor, these are the types of movies that I grew up watching when I was a kid. Big, adventurous films.  So, it was a dream of mine to be part of a movie like that.”

“I also love the mystery of my character, Aguirre, and the duality of the character. To play a character like Aguirre, who walks that very thin line between good and evil, is very interesting.  My character has a sorrow that the rest of the characters don’t necessarily share, so in a way my character lives in his own opera. He’s been suffering for so long and accumulating so much need for revenge against Frank. But he will learn that nothing good comes out of revenge.”

Jack Whitehall who plays MacGregor Houghton discusses his love for Disney and working with Director Jaume Collet-Serra

“It’s so special to be a part of a Disney film.  I grew up on these films and loved them all.  I am obsessed with Disney, I have always been obsessed with Disney. Upon first meeting Sean Bailey [Disney’s president of production] I begged him to be in ‘The Lion King,’ which didn’t pan out. But now I’m doing ‘Jungle Cruise’ and I’m just overjoyed to be part of the Disney family.”

“Jaume has such a clear vision for this film, which was evident the minute I met him. It excited me so much because it’s going to be unlike any other film of this nature because of him. He can do action and drama, but from the beginning he was adamant that comedy wasn’t his strong suit. But throughout filming, his notes on the comedic scenes were amazing.  Every comic scene that we do, he comes in and knows when to speed it up, or what needs to be looked at, and instantly he makes it better. So, I think he’s been hiding his comedic side. He’s brilliant.”

Paul Giamatti who plays Nilo Nemolato discusses his character

“Nilo keeps Frank under his thumb. He extorts money out of him, and he wants all the boats in the town.  He even wants Frank’s beat-up boat. Nilo just wants to control everything. So he’s bullying Frank to get what he wants.”

“I do try to add layers to each character I play.  Before filming I suggested this idea of the cockatoo
and slowly began to dread my own bright idea. But then it turned out to be great, because Lover was terrific.”

Jesse Plemons, who plays Prince Joachim discusses his villainous character

“We tried to create a villain character that feels unique. It was just about finding his quirks. He’s someone who is forward-thinking and looking far ahead into the future. So, I tried to keep that in mind when I was working on the character.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV Series Review: Burning Body

TV Series Review: FUBAR

TV Series Review: Deadloch

Film Review: Rosa Peral's Tapes

Sidney

Express Review: Dear Child

I Like Movies

Interview with Canadian musician and writer Eamon McGrath

Film Review: Category: Woman (2022)

TV Series Review: Pieces of Her (2022)