West Side Story (2021)

West Side Story

Amblin Entertainment/TSG Entertainment

20th Century Studios

Release date: 12/10/2021

“West Side Story,” will debut on Disney+ in the U.S. and most international countries on March 2. The film will launch in Taiwan on March 9 and Japan on March 30.

Ratings

My Rating: 8/10

#whatonwhatsgood Fan Club Rating: 75%

Express Review

Will it be as good as the original that came out in 1961?  

I think Spielberg does a spectacular job of remaking one of the most best musicals in the universe.  The performances, choreography, and musical numbers are amazing.  The costume designs, lighting, set designs and camerawork are sensational. 

At the beginning of West Side Story, Bernardo (David Alvarez) from The Sharks wants to set his sister Maria (Rachel Zegler) up on a date with Chino (Josh AndrĂ©s Rivera) at a local school dance ... However, once they get there, Bernardo and the Sharks find out that Maria is in love with the former leader of The Jets Tony (Ansel Elgort)?  Will we see a war between the rival street gangs The Jets vs. the Sharks?  Can Tony and Maria live happily ever after or is their love doomed?  

Directed by

Steven Spielberg

Screenplay by

Tony Kushner

Based on

West Side Story by Jerome Robbins, Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim, Arthur Laurents

Produced by

Steven Spielberg, Kristie Macosko Krieger, Kevin McCollum

Executive Produced By

Rita Moreno

Starring

Ansel Elgort as Tony

Rachel Zegler as Maria

Ariana DeBose as Anita

David Alvarez as Bernardo

Mike Faist as Riff

Rita Moreno as Valentina

Brian d'Arcy James as Officer Krupke

Corey Stoll as Lieutenant Schrank

Josh Andrés Rivera as Chino

iris menas as Anybodys

Mike Iveson as Glad Hand

Jamila Velazquez as Meche

Annelise Cepero as Provi

Yassmin Alers as Lluvia

Jamie Harris as Rory

Andréa Burns as Fausta

Curtiss Cook as Abe

Sharks

David Avilés Morales as Anibal

Sebastian Serra as Braulio

Ricardo A. Zayas as Chago

Carlos E. Gonzalez as Chucho

Ricky Ubeda as Flaco

Andrei Chagas as Jochi

Adriel Flete as Julito

Jacob Guzman as Junior

Kelvin Delgado as Manolo

Carlos SĂ¡nchez FalĂº as Pipo

Julius Anthony Rubio as Quique

Yurel Echezarreta as Sebas

David Guzman as Tino

Jets

Sean Harrison Jones as Action

Jess LeProtto as A-Rab

Patrick Higgins as Baby John

Kyle Allen as Balkan

John Michael Fiumara as Big Deal

Kevin Csolak as Diesel

Kyle Coffman as Ice

Daniel Patrick Russell as Little Moly

Ben Cook as Mouthpiece

Harrison Coll as Numbers

Garrett Hawe as Skink

Myles Erlick as Snowboy

Julian Elia as Tiger

Shark girls

Ana Isabelle as Rosalia

Tanairi Sade Vazquez as Charita

Yesenia Ayala as Clary

Gabriella M. Soto as Conchi

Juliette Feliciano Ortiz as Cuca

Jeanette Delgado as Ili

Maria Alexis Rodriguez as Isa

Edriz E. Rosa PĂ©rez as Jacinta

Ilda Mason as Luz

Jennifer Florentino as Montse

Melody MartĂ­ as Pili

Gaby Diaz as Tati

Isabella Ward as Tere

Jet girls

Paloma Garcia-Lee as Graziella

Eloise Kropp as Dot

Leigh-Ann Esty as Gussie

Lauren Leach as Karen

Brittany Pollack as Mack

Kellie Drobnick as Mamie

Skye Mattox as Maxie

Adriana Pierce as Natalie

Jonalyn Saxer as Rhonda

Brianna Abruzzo as Sorella

Halli Toland as Sweden

Sara Esty as Tat

Talia Ryder as Tessie

Maddie Ziegler as Velma

Cinematography

Janusz Kamiński

Edited by

Michael Kahn, Sarah Broshar

Music by

Leonard Bernstein


Interviews with Ansel Elgort, Brian d’Arcy James, David Alvarez, Mike Faist, Rachel Zegler, Ariana DeBose, Rita Moreno and Steven Spielberg on 12/4/2021 

Ansel Elgort who plays Tony discusses 'West Side Story' and working with Stephen Spielberg

"In West Side Story, I play Tony. Tony is a street kid from New York City. He was a member of the Jets but got into some trouble at a rumble.  He beat up a kid pretty bad and ended up going to prison for a year.   During that time, he did a lot of self-reflection. He thought about trying to change his life and put himself on a better path.  He wants to be a good man. Then, when he sees Maria, I think that becomes the shining star of hope.  Tony is very uneducated, he's an Orphan, he comes from absolutely nothing.

Being directed by Steven Spielberg was always a dream of mine. I knew that it was going to be a very, very special experience.  I wanted to do the best work that I could possibly do.  I didn't know what a gentle soul he was. What a loving person he is, how supportive he is with everybody, and when he gives you criticism, he never makes you feel bad about it.  He always just wants the best from you. He makes everyone around him feel so supported and loved.  He is just the greatest leader." 

Brian d'Arcy James who plays Officer Krupke discusses 'West Side Story' and working with Stephen Spielberg

"I play Sergeant Krupke in West Side Story.  Krupke is trying to do his job in a way that is helpful and not hurtful to his community.  

Steven Spielberg is such an open-hearted, warm, and collegial person.  I got a job to do and we're going to do it together.  He makes you feel like you should be there.  I think that is a great quality of leadership."

David Alvarez who plays Bernardo discusses 'West Side Story' and working with Stephen Spielberg

"I play Bernardo.  He is a fighter.  He's a boxer who migrated from Puerto Rico to New York to try and find a better life.  His passion is taking care of this family. He takes care of Maria and Anita. He is also protecting his Puerto Rican community in the city. 

Stephen Spielberg just gives you a blank canvas, and he gives you a pencil, and he says, Just draw whatever you want.  Just create whatever you want and then I'll see how I can mold around what you just created, which is a beautiful thing."

Mike Faist who plays Riff discusses 'West Side Story' and working with Stephen Spielberg

"I play Riff.  Riff is the leader of the Jets. He is Tony's best friend.  In this story. Tony was the leader of the Jets and was sent off to prison.  Now he is back, Riff's entire story is to try to get Tony back to being a part of this tribe...this family again. 

Tony wants to be different and does not want to go back to that toxic place.   He wants to change and to be a better person.  The conflict throughout the entire film is Riff's inability to recognize that in Tony. 

Stephen Spielberg was the most giving and kind and collaborative director I might have ever worked with.  It was the best experience artistically." 

Rachel Zegler who plays Maria discusses her character in 'West Side Story'

"I think Maria loves her family so much.  She loves her roots. She's also very interested in rooting herself to other things, and other people and having different associations in her life. She leads with love and has a tough time trying to understand why people hate differences.  She focuses on similarities more than differences.  Tony and Maria constantly have conversations about how they're different and how that's dangerous.  But they love each other. I think that's a really beautiful thing."

Ariana DeBose who plays Anita discusses her character in 'West Side Story'

"I play Anita. She's the first lady of the Sharks...the girlfriend to Bernardo - the leader of the Sharks.  She is an absolute firecracker with a passion for dancing. She has a beautiful maternal relationship/sisterly relationship with Maria.  I like to think of her as the glue amongst the family.  She holds things together even in the face of incredible adversity. She speaks her mind.  She's a woman ahead of her time. She is beautiful and ambitious.  She has no qualms about going 100% towards fighting for her version of the American dream." 

Rita Moreno who plays Valentina discusses 'West Side Story' and working with Stephen Spielberg

"The character that I play is Valentina.  She's learned a lot living in that ghetto area.  She was married to Doc, who used to own the candy store where the Jets hung out.  She's now taken over. She is a widow. She has a great relationship with Tony.  She mothers him. She invited him to live downstairs in the basement. 

I actually get to sing the most beautiful song in the world. I cried when I saw that in the script. 

It was so strange to see Ariana DeBose as Anita. The role that really got me an Oscar and a Golden Globe.  I had to put her at her ease.  She was apparently extremely nervous to meet me. She hid herself among all the kids.  So one day I said, 'Where is Ariana?' and everybody pointed. I said, 'We have to have lunch together.'

Stephen ... when I asked him can I do the clapper for the very last scene, he said, 'Yes'.  We went 14 takes and I was doing the clap. He tells me yesterday that that was on purpose because he didn't want it to be over and because I was enjoying doing that so much."

Director and Co-producer Steven Spielberg discusses making 'West Side Story'

"I wanted to make this film because it's a message about the importance of love over hate.  It's also the most extraordinary score probably ever written for any American musical.  

The biggest challenge in making the film was to make each musical number look different.  The camera for me needed to be inside those numbers.  So the camera became in itself a dancer. That's How I kind of looked at my role in this film. I can't dance to save my life but I know how to make a camera dance. 

This is the longest casting I've ever done in a film.  Schindler's List (1993) took a year to cast, and this took almost a year to cast as well.

This is one of the most complicated productions of my career. Unlike Jaws (1975) where the shark didn't work...the ocean never cooperated, which made it physically challenging.

I'm not looking to get back into the jungle of musicals again.  I'm never going to say never...but I don't I have my sight on any other musical beyond West Side story."


West Side Story Los Angeles Premiere 12/7/2021 

Ana Isabelle - "Rosalia"

"I feel like this movie has so many topics that are relevant and so important in our society right now.  We should undertake each other more than fighting each other. 

It's a dream come true for all of us to be representing the Latin community.  I was born or raised in Puerto Rico."

Ansel Elgort - "Tony"

"Throughout the process, I just wanted to do the best job that I could possibly do and work really hard."

Ariana DeBose - "Anita"

"I think folks are just going to be so excited to see their own faces reflected back to them."

David Alvarez - "Bernardo"

"The most powerful message that stands the test of time is the power of love...and not giving in to fear, hatred, and division...really try to understand the people around you." 

David Newman - Music Arranger

"I think West Side Story is really a unique work of art.  I think it bridges Broadway, Jazz, and opera.  I don't think there's really been anything like it.

It was really an honor to be a part of bringing it to the screen."

Ilda Mason - "Luz"

"I think West Side Story is a story about love. How that's the most important.  It's also about how we're just all humans we do not have to be divided.  We do not have to be Jets and Sharks. It's a story about love and acceptance."

Janusz Kaminski - Cinematographer

"It's a great homage to old Broadway musicals.  We wanted to create a movie version of the 1957 Broadway musical. It is just a fun, entertaining and glamorous Hollywood movie."

Josh Andres Rivera - "Chino"

"I mean I'm really excited because we're in the midst of a really important conversation about representation in Hollywood.  I think to have something like this at the forefront of the mainstream. I can only hope that we're moving in the right direction.  I hope that we can inspire creators to tell their story authentically."

Kevin McCollum - Producer

"Stephen Spielberg from a very young age listened to the Broadway musical like all of us did and dreamed about doing this." 

Kristie Macosko Krieger - Producer

"West Side Story is a message about love.  How loves triumph over things like bigotry and hate."

Mike Faist - "Riff"

"It's a really special thing to be at the premiere with everyone in the crowd. We're excited to be here." 

Rachel Zegler - "Maria"

"Maria is so multi-dimensional. She's multifaceted. I think we really added the element of her being an 18-year-old who is just starting out. She thinks she knows everything about everything, but she knows nothing about nothing. I think it's a really amazing journey to see as she learns and computes and tries to understand the world around her." 

Rita Moreno - "Valentina" / Executive Producer

"I got so lucky. I know that I was Tony Kushner's idea for Valentina. He was only thinking of me because his partner said, 'what are you going to do about Doc?'  His partner said 'what about Rita Moreno, as Doc's widow?'  It's their fault that I'm here. I will always be grateful."

Steven Spielberg - Director / Producer

"I mean I made the movie, and I still took the songs home and listened to them. The songs have certainly stood the test of time.  To me, West West Side story, as a Broadway musical is the godfather of all Broadway musicals. It is so is extremely intimidating to even attempt, or even to dream of a reimagining based on the original Broadway show.  I was blessed with a great cast and a great ensemble of tremendous artists.

We took a year to cast this. I waited to tell anybody they had their parts until I knew who all 4 principles were going to be. Poor Rachel, I saw her on the first day of casting. She had to wait 350 days before she got the part.

I've just been blessed.  These artists are triple threats.  They can act, sing and dance."


The film has been nominated for 7 Academy Awards® 

  • Best Picture 
  • Best Director
  • Best Supporting Actress (Ariana DeBose) 

11 Critics’ Choice Awards 
  • Best Picture
  • Best Director
  • Best Supporting Actress (Ariana DeBose, Rita Moreno) 

Winner of three Golden Globe® awards
  • Best Motion Picture, Musical, or Comedy 
  • Best Actress, Musical or Comedy (Rachel Zegler)
  • Best Supporting Actress (Ariana DeBose)
Nominations from DGA (Steven Spielberg) 

Nominations from PGA (Steven Spielberg and Kristie Macosko Krieger) 

Nominations from WGA (Tony Kushner) 

Nominations from SAG (Ariana DeBose for Best Female Actor in a Supporting Role) 

Named one of the year’s Top 10 films by the American Film Institute and the National Board of Review

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TV Series Review: FUBAR

I Like Movies

TV Series Review: Deadloch

TV/Movies Ratings December 2, 2021

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom Rating

Lupin Part 3 Rating

Interview with Matt U Johnson

Sidney

Killers of the Flower Moon Rating

Interview with Star Trek: Picard actress Adele Pomerenke