The Super Mario Bros. Movie

The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Universal Pictures, Nintendo, Illumination

Universal Pictures

Release date

April 5, 2023

Available to own on Digital, 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™ and DVD on June 13th in the US and Canada

Description

The movie tells the story of two Brooklyn plumbers who are brothers and best friends: Mario, the brave one with the “let’s-a go” attitude, and the perpetually anxious Luigi, who would prefer to go nowhere. We open with the Super Mario Brothers reckoning with their struggling plumbing business, and wind up in a whirlwind adventure through Mushroom Kingdom. Through their journey, we meet a cast of familiar, lovable characters, ultimately uniting to defeat the power-hungry villain, Bowser. The Super Mario Bros. Movie takes what millions of gamers worldwide have loved for over three decades and levels it up to a new and breathtaking cinematic experience. 

Directed by

Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic

Screenplay by

Matthew Fogel

Based on

Super Mario by Nintendo

Produced by

Chris Meledandri and Shigeru Miyamoto

A poster featuring Mario looking from within the Mushroom Kingdom The Super Mario Bros. Movie Teaser poster


Starring

Voice cast

Chris Pratt as Mario

Anya Taylor-Joy as Princess Peach

Charlie Day as Luigi

Jack Black as Bowser

Keegan-Michael Key as Toad

Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong

Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong

Sebastian Maniscalco as Foreman Spike

Charles Martinet

Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek

Music by

Brian Tyler

Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic discuss "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" at World Premiere

This whole thing has been such a dream for me that I'm like, oh, it's got to be a prank like there's gonna be a moment when somebody's gonna say this isn't real.  Haha! We got you, but it's real. It's really happening.  So it really is a dream come true. 

Yeah, and especially to come out of the pandemic.  This is a movie that was made during the pandemic.  We were all making it inside our homes. We were separated somehow the crew was able to pull off the impossible, and now the world is coming back out.  We hope this movie is something that people can celebrate together in movie theaters.

We really wanted to deliver the movie that we never got to see when we were kids.

Anya Taylor-Joy discusses "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" at World Premiere

I was so happy and excited when they offered me this role. 

I was very very surprised by how much it moved me to see the film.

I had such a good time, and it feels wonderful. I do a lot of very dark roles, and I have a very soft spot for that. 

This is a film that is going to bring joy to people...the music, the comedy, and the characters. I am so thrilled to be a part of it.

Bryan Tyler discusses "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" at World Premiere

I wanted to make sure that all of those things were brought in.  It's like it is like a tribute to all the fans and all of us that played the games but also brings a new audience, too.

Charlie Day discusses "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" at World Premiere 

It's a hard thing to wrap your head around playing a character you just grew up playing. Look at that playing the playing. It's come full circle.

I don't know anyone who hasn't played this game.  Maybe my mom and dad didn't play it, but they certainly heard it in their living room.

So yeah, it's great just to be a part of something that's just part of our culture for so long.

This movie...It gives you all the stuff that you know and love from the game. And if you don't know and love the game, it's the perfect introduction.

Chris Pratt discusses "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" at World Premiere
It's very precious to everybody, to you, to me, to everybody who played it from 1985 until now...it's a lot of people.

It hasn't been a movie for 30 years and finally, the IP was given an opportunity to be turned into a film...so that's not something you want to screw up.

Thankfully, the pressure is off because I've seen the film and we didn't screw it up.  It's freaking awesome.

This is an amazing combination of multi-generational passion for these characters...a film that really delivers.

Expect to be surprised. Expect to have your heartstrings pulled. Expect to find pools of sentiment in your soul you forgot about opened up and you'll be swimming in them.

It's really amazing and honestly, I think it's just the beginning.

Jack Black discusses The Super Mario Bros. Movie at World Premiere

Bowser really is very heavy metal. If you think about it, he breathes fire.  He's got the spikes, you know, very heavy metal. In the movie, I was glad that they put some heavy metal in the movie.

I think I'm perfectly suited to the role of Bowser, and when I play Mario Cart I have to bring out my inner Bowser.

If you told 15-year-old Jack Black that I would be on a red carpet in a Super Mario Brothers movie, my brain would have exploded.  I would have been really looking forward to my life.

It's a pretty dreamy role...For a video game player from the eighties to be here right now. 

Kevin Michael Richardson discusses "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" at World Premiere

It's pretty exciting. I had no idea the impact it was gonna have on the crowd. It's pretty huge.

I think they are going to have a good time. A lot of fun.

I think it's going to be for folks of all ages, for young and old, and everybody's basically going to be a kid in the audience.

I think they're going to enjoy it.

Seth Rogen discusses "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" at World Premiere

It's interesting. I don't make a lot of movies that kids can see.

It's like, really, visually beautiful. And the story is really fun.  They found a way to like incorporate everything. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Jennifer Did Rating

Ripley Rating

The Program: Cons, Cults and Kidnapping Rating

Neal Brennan: Crazy Good Rating

Anthracite Rating

The Magic Prank Show with Justin Willman Rating

Files of the Unexplained Rating

The Fall Guy

The Cleaning Lady (2022)

Express Review: Dear Child